This year we are offering a Performers Academy for British East and South East Asians* based in the South of England.
The New Earth Performers Academy South is a five week online performance course for those based in the South of England. This course is always over subscribed so we will hold auditions. See dates below. We welcome all ages from 18+.
This year the New Earth Performers Academy South will be led by director Fumi Gomez. During these sessions students will get practical performance and self-taping skills. Come develop your listening skills, understand what makes a scene, improve your character creation abilities, embrace the differences between theatre and film and find the best ways of working with a partner. At the end of this course you should be more independent and confident when approaching scenes from film and theatre and when facing the task of recording a scene on your own.
Classes take place online every Saturday afternoon with Director Fumi Gomez. During the week there will be evening sessions in voice and movement as well as additional guest workshops led by tutors from our supporting drama schools. There will be lunchtime industry talks and the course will finish with a showcase for an invited audience.
• Deadline for applications Tuesday 27 April, 5pm
• Online auditions will take place in the afternoon of Saturday 22 May
• Course begins online Saturday 26 June and runs every Saturday afternoon 1-3pm and every Tuesday evening 7-9pm until Tuesday 27 July. There will be additional guest workshops on some of the Wednesday evenings.
• There will be a final sharing on Friday July 4:30-6:30pm
• There will be additional talks with industry professionals over lunch during the week 12.30-1.30pm
• Fill out the application below.
• You will be asked to write a paragraph telling us about yourself and any previous performing experience you might have. Please let us know what you hope to gain from being part of the Performers Academy as well as what you can bring to the group. You may submit a short video if you prefer.
• You will also need to submit a photo of yourself and an Equal Opportunities form, which you can download by clicking on the button below.
Fumi Gomez is a freelance film and theatre director. Her work is focused on ground-breaking storytelling, seeking new expressive ways and blending influences from all around the world. She is heavily invested in filmmaking that speaks from a feminist, intersectional, culturally diverse perspective, in a way that is unique, political and entertaining.
Creator of Making Films; a guerrilla filmmaking group with over 1700 members. She has curated and screened in London a total of 57 short films.
She is a freelance associate artist at the National Youth Theatre. Co-founder of Horatio Productions and the Science Fiction Theatre Festival in London, UK.
New Earth Academy South is delivered by New Earth Theatre in partnership with ALRA, ArtsEd and LAMDA.
With support from Drama Studio London, East 15 Acting School, Mountview and The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.
*British East and South East Asian: anyone of East or South East Asian descent living and working in the UK.