In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus outbreak, Chinese Arts Now (CAN) and Yellow Earth Theatre are accepting applications from artists who identify as having Chinese cultural heritage and/or who make work that incorporates contemporary Chinese perspectives for support to develop a new digital commission.
This commission is offered during the time of the COVID-19 outbreak as an opportunity for artists to make work within the confines of our current lived context. It can be a response to the virus, or respond to other themes and ideas. These commissions will be shared digitally via online platforms supported by Yellow Earth Theatre and CAN with the opportunity to be showcased as part of the CAN festival in February 2021.
The commissioning programme encourages work that allows audiences and participants to watch, listen or participate with their device remotely. The work can be presented through websites, social media, live streaming, podcasts, apps, or any other online/ remote platform. It can include elements of performing arts, literature, visual and any other cross-art and inter-disciplinary art form. It can be as simple as a series of tweets, or an ambitious large scale work that spans platforms and time. We are looking for work that responds well to the chosen digital platform, that has quality content and a clear process behind it. For this commission, we are looking for proposals to have a “theatre” element, which can be interpreted by the applicant as they wish.
● Administrative, producing, production and marketing support from the Yellow Earth Theatre and CAN teams
● Budget of up to £4,000 for research, materials and production of the work
● Fundraising support to identify and apply for additional funding (if necessary)
● An online showcasing opportunity for the work to connect with CAN and Yellow Earth Theatre networks and audiences
● An opportunity to showcase as part of the CAN Festival in 2021 in its digital programme
● Artists must be living and making work in the UK
● Artists who identify as having Chinese cultural heritage and/or who make work that incorporates contemporary Chinese elements/perspectives
● Applications will be favoured from artists able to realise digital projects in an innovative and creative way
Each commission must be led by the commission recipient, and have a clear producing, marketing and production framework in place to deliver the work.
To apply please submit the following as one pdf to [email protected] by 5pm on Thursday 30th April.
● Cover sheet: Detailing contact information including name, email, phone number, address, website (if you have one).
● An A4 page proposal OR an online link to one 5 minute video proposal: describing your practice, detailing your areas of interest and how you might approach the commission.
● A simple budget detailing income and expenditure
● A curriculum vitae
● Examples of previous work: up to 3 examples. If you wish to include video or audio, please provide links within the pdf.
There will be a collaborative shortlisting and decision-making process led by the CAN and Yellow Earth Theatre teams. Please note we will be unable to give feedback to unsuccessful applicants who are not shortlisted.
Deadline for applications extended: 5pm, Thursday 7 May 2020
Successful awardee notified: Friday 15 May 2020
Showcase as part of CAN Festival: February 2021
If you have any queries related to the application, or would like to book an advice session via Zoom relating to your application please email: [email protected]
Chinese Arts Now (CAN) is the first National Portfolio Organisation awarded by Arts Council England to produce and present contemporary performing arts work that explores Chinese themes, stories and art forms. CAN is an annual festival that brings a diverse range of contemporary performing and digital arts to the public.